Friday, August 12, 2011

Cake Decorating // Gardener Pop





Two weeks ago it was my Granddad's (well, Pop's!) birthday. My Mum made him a yummy Hummingbird cake with banana and pineapple in it and I made a cake topper to go on it.

My Grandad loves his garden and growing vegetables. At Christmas we often have tasty new potatoes fresh out of his garden and me and my sister used to climb over the carrots, etc to get to the peas and eat them straight out of the pods!

I was so happy with how this came out. Making a standing fondant person is hard work! He has strategically placed toothpicks to help him stand up. It probably took me 3 hours to make the whole thing. It was worth it, my Grandad loved it and took a picture of it on his camera too!

Have you ever had a play with fondant icing? Would anyone like any tips? I have an entire cake-sized container full of different coloured fondant at home! 




2 comments:

  1. Thats so amazing that you made that! I played around with sculpey (which I'm sure is easier) a few years ago and tried to make a few little figures but they were pretty embarrassing. The veggies look so real.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - this looks great! I really want to try some fondant sculptures but I just never get around to it. I have a book called "A zombie ate my cupcake" and a lot of the stuff uses fondant. Maybe I should make an effort and try some of the recipes.

    ReplyDelete